Michael van Gerwen relieved after winning for his own audience: “It continues to do something with me”

Michael van Gerwen has reached the quarterfinals of the World Series of Darts Finals in Amsterdam. De Brabander defeated Maik Kuivenhoven in an exciting pot 6-4. “I’m really happy that I crossed the line in front of my own audience.”




,,I shouldn’t have given him the chance”, says a relieved Van Gerwen. ,,The audience is really fantastic, I missed it. Everyone knows I haven’t had the best year, and everyone has suffered from corona of course. It’s nice to be able to give something back like that.”

Van Gerwen will face Mervyn King in the last eight tomorrow. The experienced Englishman has not lost a leg in his first two matches.

De Brabander was not the only one who made it a party in Amsterdam. Niels Zonneveld performed a stunt by beating Gary Anderson. The darts player from Uitgeest, who had surprisingly won against Nathan Aspinall on Friday evening, was too strong for the Scot with 6-4.

“I really used the audience there with every dart,” says the 23-year-old darts player. “I don’t normally do that, especially not in England. But now there are 40, 50 people here of friends and family and then I get enormous support “Of course there’s extra pressure on it, but it’s an indescribable feeling when it works. It’s the best victory of my career.”


Vincent van der Voort stunted in the first round against Dave Chisnall, but did not play against Jonny Clayton tonight (1-6). Dirk van Duijvenbode took on Gerwyn Price, the number one in the world. Despite being booed throughout the match, Price qualified for the quarterfinals (6-2) without worry. ,,If you play well you get the crowd quiet,’ says Price. ,,I expected it, I’m the ‘man to beat’, but I hope to get a little more with Clayton tomorrow.”

Also a Belgian party

For the first time since 2019, there is again a major darts tournament in the Netherlands, and the hall is also well filled with Belgian fans. ,,It felt like a home game”, says Dimitri van den Bergh, who defeated his buddy Jose de Sousa 6-3. ,,I knew there were many compatriots in the room, but I also have to thank the Dutch fans for that. their support.”

A Belgian get-together awaits in the quarterfinals. Kim Huybrechts surprisingly sent Peter Wright home (1-6), and can take on Van den Bergh on Sunday afternoon.

Tonight’s program

• Madar’s Razma – Mervyn King 0-6
• Gary Anderson – Niels Zonneveld 4-6
• Jonny Clayton – Vincent van der Voort 6-1
• Dimitri van den Bergh – Jose de Sousa 6-3
• Fallon Sherrock – Krzysztof Ratajski 1-6
• Peter Wright – Kim Huybrechts 1-6
• Gerwyn Price – Dirk van Duijvenbode 6-2
Michael van GerwenMaik Kuivenhoven 6-4

Watch all our sports videos here:

Dirk van Duijvenbode and Michael van Gerwen.
Dirk van Duijvenbode and Michael van Gerwen. © PDC

#Michael #van #Gerwen #relieved #winning #audience #continues



source https://pledgetimes.com/michael-van-gerwen-relieved-after-winning-for-his-own-audience-it-continues-to-do-something-with-me/